Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Time on my hands

Well, all the business and excitement of exams, holidays and graduations are over and things have got quite quiet around here. A bit too quiet for my liking in fact. Despite the fact that I've been trying really hard to find a summer job, I'm either unemployable or just plain unlucky - nothin' doing. And now the longer I wait, the less point there is in even looking anymore. There are only five weeks before I go back to Uni and in. No-one's going to want me for that short length of time. I think I've missed the boat on bar-work too - everyone's looking for people with experience, but how can you get experience if no-one will employ you in the first place? Yikes!

With Steven out at work from 8.30 till 7pm (that boy works hard), I've got some time on my hands. So instead of stressing about not having a job, I'm trying to enjoy this time, relax a bit and do some of the things that have been sitting patiently on lists of things-I'd-like-to-do-one-day. I'm learning to drive (which is scary, but quite fun) and reading books just because I want to. And I've decided that now is my chance to get into something else new. I've always looked on jealously as other bloggers create lots of cool crafty stuff and now I want a go.

I definitely want to try my hand at freezer paper stencils because they look like a lot of fun. Other than that, I don't have a sewing machine and I certainly can't afford one at the minute, so i think knitting it will have to be. Maybe learning to knit isn't the best summer activity but perhaps if I start now, I might be good enough by the winter to actually make something useful!

Just one small problem: how to get started. I know next to nothing about knitting. My Grandma tried to teach me once when I was about ten and the only result was a mishapen strip of red knitting which I think may still be languishing in a corner of my bedroom at home. I doubt I can remember the first thing about what I was taught then, so I'll need to start from scratch. But on what size needles? With what kind of wool? (yarn? what's the difference?) And from which resources? I think I'll go to the library tomorrow and see what I can find. But if anyone has any advice, I'd be more than happy to hear it.

And who knows? Maybe this extra time might lead to some more blogging?

2 Comments:

At 11:11 AM, Anonymous wondermom said...

you could come home for a quick tutorial x

 
At 11:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Woohoo! Knitting!! Yeeha! Knitting rocks. I've just started on somin called felting too, where you shrink what you've knitted (on purpose!) and it turns a felty kind of way. Very snazzy. Come through to Glasgow and we can have a bee! Ooh, ooh, and we can crochet too! Ah, wool, who would have guessed the joys you hold!
Lucy
x

 

Post a Comment

<< Home