Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Self Portrait Challenge

Self Portrait As ... - week 4

Self Portrait as ... a swimmer.

Not a competitive swimmer or anything as serious as that. I've always loved swimming - I was a bit of a water-baby when I was little and used to go at least three times a week - two lots of training with the swimming club and once with my family, sometimes more. I stopped going to swimming club when I was about 12 because it got very competitive and everyone else my age was a good bit taller and stronger than I was. After that I swam less and less and by the time I was in the last couple of years of school, I rarely swam at all.

Recently I've started going again because I want the exercise and I'm loving it. I go two or three times a week at about 8.45am, when it's relatively quiet. It's just so relaxing, letting your mind wander as you swim up and down (although I have to admit to being slightly anal and counting the number of lengths I do).

I was a bit late getting to the pool this morning and the big open-space of pool was busy so I slipped into the fast lane and pushed myself hard for 30 lengths. I don't usually swim in the lanes because I find them quite claustrophobic and I don't like the fact that other people are relying on you to keep up the speed. Today though, I quite enjoyed being made to work hard.
What a virtuous start to the day!

More self portraits here and here.

4 Comments:

At 6:31 PM, Anonymous wondermom said...

Perhaps I could do " Portrait as a Cyclist" - my new bike has a bell...and a basket! How cool am I?

 
At 5:25 PM, Blogger Magpie K said...

I'm so jealous - I want a civilised bike with a basket! Is it a wicker one?

 
At 9:18 PM, Anonymous Zoe said...

I love this picture! The blue in the background is really so...swimming pool blue. Is this the comonwealth pool by any chance?

 
At 8:52 AM, Blogger Magpie K said...

Zoe, it's Warrender Baths - closer for me and only 25m lengths instead of scary 50m! It's an old-style baths with cubicles round the edge of the pool and a glass roof, I love it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home