Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Self Portrait Challenge

Introduce yourself - week 3


Lisa from A Bird in the Hand does a lot of very cool artwork that I really admire. Recently she found a paper silhouette of her five-year-old self and she's been incorporating it into some of her work. I can remember making the same paper silhouettes in Brownies when I was little and I've never taken my self-portrait in profile before, so I thought I'd try.

I'm not sure that a silhouette is the best choice for our theme of introductions; it's not particularly revealing, although it's not quite annonymous either. But it does partly reflect the way I've been feeling recently - a bit purposeless and not totally sure of what or who I am at the minute. I've sort of been in limbo, finished my own exams but just waiting around until Steven finishes his and we can be together again.

It's funny, I thought once I'd finished my exams, I would be able to blog more. You would think too that the introspective kind of mood I've been in would lend itself quite well to blogging but no, lately I haven't really felt very inspired. I have really enjoyed working on these last two self-portraits though - perhaps taking more photos is the answer to my blog-inspiration problems. Steven had his final exam this morning too, so he's all finished now and I'll be going to see him in Belfast on Friday. As well as that, tomorrow he and I are going to see what we can do about booking a holiday together - hopefully somewhere it isn't raining!
So things are looking up around here and hopefully I'll find something to post about sometime soon.

More self portraits here and here.

6 Comments:

At 11:22 PM, Blogger mcaplan said...

Hi Katherine! I love this SPC! I think that it is very revealing, especially with the spots of color coming through in the highlights.

Thank you for stopping by my blog. I am glad to have found yours! I'll be back!

 
At 1:08 AM, Blogger lovegreendog said...

oh yes, very pretty indeed!
and photos are always what get me going when it comes to blogging :)

 
At 2:58 AM, Anonymous bekka said...

wow. how'd you do that? your silhouette is fetching. and the lighting is so very lovely too.

 
At 6:38 AM, Blogger Dutch said...

Cripes Katharine, that's gorgeous.

 
At 10:25 PM, Anonymous wondermom said...

so refined :)

 
At 11:22 PM, Blogger Magpie K said...

Thank you everyone!

Bekka, I took it against a window without a flash and then messed with it in photoshop.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home