Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Self Portrait Tuesday

All of me - week 1

This is me, exhausted, unwashed, hair-unbrushed and still in my pyjamas, recovering from malaria in Tanzania a few years ago. I had a bit of a tough time illness-wise when I was there in my gap year, but this was probably the worst: I was hospitalised for a couple of nights.

While I was ill Steven really got to see 'all of me'. He went for help in the middle of the night when I was badly ill and delirious; he sat with me through pin-prick malaria tests and while I got hooked up to an iv drip, even though he's terrible about needles; after I was let out of hospital he looked after me, fed me and helped me shower when I was too weak to stand long enough to do it for myself; and when I was tear-stained and begrutten because of missing home, he held me and sang to me and made me feel better. I really couldn't have asked for a better nurse.

1 Comments:

At 3:25 PM, Blogger Luke said...

Hi. Just browsing and stumbled here, as you do. Anyway, was interested in your mention of times in Tanzania. I used to live there a few years ago and wondered whereabouts you had been living. We lived in little places like Nachingwea, Kongwa, before moving to Dar es Salaam. I just wondered if you knew any of those villages and how are they now? Cheers.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home