Thursday, February 16, 2006

Death and fiddles

My dissertation is due in five weeks. I should be working on it. But the interviews that will form the basis of the whole thing are sitting in a little room in my department, waiting for the sound technician to copy them onto CD for me. I asked for the copies nearly two weeks ago and I'm starting to get cross. I hate complaining, but if they're not ready tomorrow I might just have to go in and complain a bit, otherwise I might have a small nervous breakdown over the weekend. I have to give a presentation next Friday on my progress so far; if I don't get those interviews back it's going to be a very short presentation.

In the meantime I've been making a start on my literature essay on death and illness in Victorian texts. I'm actually quite looking forward to writing it, but seeing as I know how insignificant it is compared to my dissertation, I can't settle to it.

Tonight I've been invited to a session in Stirling. A friend of mine is in a traditional music society there and he's asked me to go. I've barely played my fiddle in the 5 years since I left school; I had to dust the case when I dragged it out from under my bed this afternoon. I've been practising for a bit and it doesn't sound too awful. I'm quite looking forward to it, it'll be nice to play with other people again. Hopefully it'll take my mind off essays - but I promise to be back to work first thing tomorrow.

5 Comments:

At 9:04 AM, Anonymous Steven said...

I'm glad the session went well Katharine.

 
At 3:44 PM, Blogger Magpie K said...

Thanks babe. Yeah, it was really good - must be like riding a bike!

The only trouble is, my mouth STILL tastes like an ashtray, and it's nearly 4 in the afternoon. Roll on the smoking ban! (although I suppose that wouldn't include people's kitchens anyway).

 
At 10:30 AM, Anonymous Steven said...

If it were the Irish Republic, then it would include people's kitchens - if that is someone's place of work. E.g. If the plumber comes in to fix your sink, then you can't smoke in your own kitchen! Cool eh? And just the way it should be.

 
At 8:45 PM, Blogger Dutch said...

do I dare admit that when I lived in Ireland I developed a mild obssession with traditional music in that annoying way that Americans latch on to something that is really none of their business?

I even bought a banjo.

I spent a summer in County Clare transcribing traditional music that the local farmers knew.

I know Scottish trad is completely different, but I think it's awesome that you're getting back into it.

 
At 11:05 PM, Blogger Magpie K said...

Thanks for the encouragement Dutch. We really play a mixture of both - Scottish and Irish go pretty well together! ;)

I've always wanted to play the banjo.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home