Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Self Portrait Tuesday

Personal History: week 4

Birthdays in our house were always special. Because my birthday is the day after Christmas, my Mum made a big effort to differentiate between the two, and developed a sort of birthday formula which was followed for everyone.

The birthday girl or boy sat at the head of the table in the Birthday Chair, a tall, very high-backed wooden chair made by a Norwegian exchange student who stayed with us when we were very young. The chair was decorated with balloons or streamers, a Happy Birthday banner was hung across the kitchen and there was a birthday hat, often made by Mum. The table was set for breakfast, with a big bunch of birthday flowers in the middle and our presents all laid out. And there was a special box of birthday cereal - something sugary that we wouldn't normally get.

Mum still does a lot of this for us but since I've left home, I often miss the others' birthdays, which always makes me feel bad. I suppose it's just a part of growing up, birthdays aren't really such a big deal anymore. That's fine, but when I have kids of my own, I hope I can make their birthdays as special as mine were.

2 Comments:

At 7:34 PM, Blogger fiona said...

oh so cute! xx

 
At 12:03 PM, Blogger Magpie K said...

Thanks Fi! It was lovely to see you on Thursday, I hope we'll see you again soon. Good luck with your interviews!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home