Monday, January 23, 2006

Recovering from camp

Phew! I've decided that CHV camp must be like childbirth - your brain wipes over the bad bits, gives the rest a lovely rosy tint and files it under 'Rewarding Experiences'.

It's not until you find yourself on your next camp, in the middle of the night, 4 hours drive away from home, pretending to be in control of 6 defiant teenagers with the most offensive vocabulary you've ever heard, that you realise you knew all along that it was going to be like this and once again you've been fooled by the images of beautiful scenery and smiling, compliant, happy children.


Yet even though I've worked this out, I already seem to be forgetting the difficult bits of this
weekend and thinking instead about how I actually felt quite sure of myself when we were horse-riding, with snowy hills on both sides and the kids sitting in slightly nervous awe on top of the horses in front of me; or the night walk we did through the middle of a forest with the kids clutching brightly-coloured glow-sticks and shrieking whenever anyone touched them or mentioned the names of scary films; or the photos I have from after the night walk, and from when the kids got hold of my camera, including some lovely shots of my face as I tried to get it back.

Perhaps I'll volunteer for our week-long summer camp this year. Why not? I'm sure it'll be a very rewarding experience!

1 Comments:

At 5:00 PM, Anonymous wondermom said...

What? No photos of your cross face? Shame!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home