Sunday, January 15, 2006

My 'magpie tendencies'

Steven calls me a magpie.

I am easily distracted by things which are brightly coloured or shiny. If Steven and I are out anywhere, walking along the street or on the bus, our conversation will be dotted with exclamations of 'Ooooh, look' or just short silences as I lose track of what I'm saying because something has caught my eye. Nowhere is safe: the cook shop up the road has a red enamel colander in the window; a baby clothes shop further on has cool stripy hats, the flower shop has dusty pink gerberas sitting in buckets outside. Yesterday, Steven took me to a computer shop to buy more RAM, but while we queued I was much more interested in the little red mouse on a top shelf. I covet that mouse now, although I have no need of it. It's not just colours though, it can be anything - a cute baby, an old car or someone with stylish shoes.

Lots of little things make me smile each day, but by the time I get home and get to speak to Steven, I've invariably forgotten what they were. One of the purposes of this blog is to document the things that have made me happy: conversations overheard, people observed, bright colours and shiny things.

2 Comments:

At 3:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, it's true. Our house is full of her collections. Tea-pots, post-cards, chairs, little pots - anything that's a pretty colour or has a bit of character.

I'd have a car boot sale, but
a) we don't have a car
b) it would break Katharine's heart to part with such LOVELY things.

Katharine, you are a magpie - cawwww.
Love you,
Steven

 
At 8:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wonder who she takes after? Her great grandmother perhaps or maybe a generation or two closer? I know the best shops! There's a little parcel of beautiful and useful objects coming shortly to a doorstep near you :)

Love you xxxxxxx

 

Post a Comment

<< Home